8 years ago
Monday, May 11, 2009
Atlantis Lift Off.
The Shuttle Atlantis lifted off today just after 2pm. Destination, Hubble telescope. Emma and I drove over to Titusville to watch it in person. (Titusville is the closest "real city" to the space station.) A bit of a whim decision but glad we made the trip. It took us about 45 minutes to get there. People were just stopping their cars along US 1 and setting up lawn chairs and cameras. With 45 minutes until lift off, ALOT of people showed up. I think all traffic/pedistrian laws were temporarily suspended. People were everywhere. There was not an official site to stand so people stood wherever they could get a view. I am pretty sure this body of water of Indian Bay and we were directly looking at the launch pad. I was so sad I forgot my binoculars....like I said earlier, it was a whim.
Lift off.

After this pic the shuttle was lost in the clouds. There was complete silience initially, but approx 1 minutes after lift off we heard the booming noise. That was pretty neat. The whole crowd cheered. Luckily we were by some very nice retirees who liked entertaining Emma (or she was entertaining them). I knew we would not be getting any upclose looks at the shuttle (actually TV is better) but I was curious what the atmosphere was like over there, espeically since the number of launches are counted. This was the last mission to Hubble.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment